Spirit of Sport
The Spirit of Sport Award is presented annually to a male or female Special Olympics BC athlete who exemplifies the true meaning of sportsmanship.
The Special Olympics Athlete's Oath states, 'Let me win, and if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.' This athlete lives by our athlete's oath and is an inspiration to fellow athletes and coaches. This athlete shows dedication, enthusiasm and always gives their best effort.
2016 Spirit of Sport Award winner: Simone Myers
A friendly, positive, and helpful athlete, Special Olympics BC – Port Alberni’s Simone Myers is a valued teammate and a pleasure to coach. Myers always encourages fellow athletes to have fun and to do their best, and she is the deserving recipient of SOBC’s 2016 Spirit of Sport Award.
Pictured at right: Simone (second from left) receiving her award with Anne Evans and Linda Scobbie, SOBC – Port Alberni Volunteer Coordinator and Local Coordinator, and Michelle Cruickshank, SOBC Manager, Community Development for Region 6.
Myers has been involved with SOBC for 13 years and currently participates in 5-pin bowling, swimming, basketball, curling, floor hockey, athletics, and softball. She is a caring teammate who is a friend to everyone at her Local. She calls to check up on fellow athletes when they are sick and miss practice, and she provides advice and support for teammates when they are having problems at practice or in their personal lives.
“She is a joy to coach as she never complains, always competes to the best of her abilities, and is not afraid to try new things. She always has a smile on her face, offering to help as she sees is needed,” her nominators wrote.
Myers is a proud Special Olympics athlete who is grateful to the volunteers who support SOBC. Every year she writes and delivers a speech at SOBC – Port Alberni’s year-end banquet thanking volunteers for their dedication and commitment. She does this by herself, and asks the Local’s Executive Committee for permission to give the speech.
Always eager to support Special Olympics, Myers shows her dedication by frequently stepping up to help SOBC – Port Alberni fundraise. She also supports SOBC programs by encouraging her friends to sign up for the various sports offered at her Local.
A dedicated ambassador for SOBC, Myers can often be seen wearing her Special Olympics jacket in her community. Last year, she brought the silver medal she won in floor hockey at the 2015 Special Olympics BC Winter Games in Kamloops to her work. This inspired her coworkers to post a photo on Facebook congratulating her and her team.
Thank you, Simone, for demonstrating outstanding sportsmanship and dedication to Special Olympics!
Special Olympics BC sincerely congratulates all of the nominees for the 2016 Spirit of Sport Award:
- Julie Black, SOBC – Cowichan Valley
- Dean Cake, SOBC – Quesnel
- Jeremy Cheverie, SOBC – Victoria
- Tyler Coe, SOBC – Delta
- Dawn Hadler, SOBC – Salt Spring Island
- Chelsea Kaake, SOBC – Delta
- Roxana Podrasky, SOBC – Kimberley/Cranbrook
- Adrian Rosen, SOBC – Prince George
- Brad Smith, SOBC – Delta
- Dallas Stager, SOBC – Vancouver
- Kelsey Thomson, SOBC – Richmond
Past Spirit of Sport Award recipients:
- Ryan Stewart, SOBC – Richmond (2015)
- Barbie Conway, SOBC – Prince George (2014)
- Danny Tress, SOBC – Burns Lake (2013)
- Billy Peterson, SOBC – North Shore (2012)
- Ron Greenhorn, SOBC – Nanaimo (2011)
- Dallas Stager, SOBC – Vancouver (2010)
- Walter and Danny Dion, SOBC – Campbell River (2009)
- Tanya McIntosh, SOBC – Kelowna (2008)
- Katarina Gerhardt, SOBC – Kelowna (2007)
- Jan Mareels, SOBC – Vancouver (2006)
- Keith McPhail, SOBC – Victoria (2005)
- Janet Robertson, SOBC – Powell River (2004)
- Paul Aubuchon, SOBC – Campbell River (2003)
- Sherry Rempel, SOBC – Prince George (2002)
- Rob Misjak, SOBC – North Shore (2002)
- Krista Meldrum, SOBC – Campbell River (2001)
- Scott Ellison, SOBC – Richmond (2001)
- Marie Putnam, SOBC – Vancouver (2000)
- Cal Brandolini, SOBC – North Shore (2000)
- Carrie Poulin, SOBC – Nelson (1999)
- Mathew Brewer, SOBC – Prince George (1999)
- Jane Murray, SOBC – Coquitlam (1998)
- Marc Theriault, SOBC – Surrey (1998)
- Graeme MacKinnon, SOBC – Burnaby (1997)
- Barb Scrutton, SOBC – Coquitlam (1996)
- Barry Creasy, SOBC – Kimberley/Cranbrook (1996)